Sunday, November 23, 2008

No Gluten = Brick

Here is my newest experiment: 100% Sprouted Wheat Bread without the addition of gluten.

As you can see from the picture it turned out to look like a brick and was rather dense.

It did taste very good though, just like the one made with the gluten, just less gummy. Not that gummy is necessarily a bad thing, it is a matter of preference. My husband said that he likes them both. The sprouting process brings out the natural sweetness of the grain. One loaf only has 1 Tbs. of organic agave nectar in it, yet it tastes subtly sweet. I ate it with cheese but one could eat it with butter and jam as well. In my opinion it tastes a lot better than the sprouted grain breads you can buy at Ward's. Those do not taste fresh to me. My loaf tastes just as good two days old. It is naturally moist and does not dry out much.


The bread sliced up.

Now that I have two versions of this bread, guess what? I will try a third one! This time it will be an in-between bread, meaning, I will add some gluten but not as much as the recipe calls for. I will experiment till I get it right. I am stubborn....

No comments: