Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Sourdough Sandwich Loaves - NO yeast

The one on the left has sunflower seeds in it and sesame seeds on the outside. The other one is just plain.

For people who do not want to eat yeast for whatever reason, here is a bread or two for you. Now, if you want me to bake a loaf for you, you would have to let me know three days ahead. Why? Let me explain....

This is how long it takes to make this bread. In order to have a strong sourdough culture I start out with only one tablespoon of sourdough culture per loaf. I double the volume by adding one tablespoon of flour and 1/2 tablespoon of water and let it sit for 12 hours at room temperature. I continue doubling the culture three more times in 12 hour intervals before it is ready to be mixed with the final ingredients. In other words, it takes 48 hours till I have enough culture to bake a loaf of bread. After mixing and kneading the dough it takes about four to six hours till the first rise is done and the bread dough is nicely risen. I then form a loaf and let it rise again which could take between 2 and 3 hours. It takes an hour to bake and ideally the bread should be cooled completely before slicing it.

I think it may not take as long in the summer when it is hot outside and usually also inside my house. I will also try to see if I can cut the culture fermenting time in half and still get the same result. I like to experiment but the down side is that I might end up with more bread to eat than my family can handle and my freezer is already full with "experimental" bread. Maybe I should open my front door and shout, "Anybody hungry?" like in Vedic times, you know....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful looking loaves! Your method sounds interesting, it seems to work well, Teresa -Discovering Sourdough