Friday, October 24, 2008

I Love to Bake!

I have been baking since I was a little girl. Almost every Saturday my mother baked something and I usually got to use the mixer, which back then, of course, was only a hand mixer. My favorite holiday as a kid was Christmas because my mom always baked a ton of cookies and I got to help her, mostly with the decorating.... and tasting, of course. I remember, my mom always had to hide the cookies so that there would still be some left by the time it was Christmas day. I have four siblings and the cookies were so yummy, we probably would have eaten all of them in a couple of days...

I am Austrian. Since Austria is famous for it's cakes, pastries and breads, it would be a shame if it did not know how to bake. When I was growing up my mom thought it was important to train me and my three sisters in baking and cooking. My mom did not use a wide variety of recipes, still I learned the basics of Austrian baking from her and the rest I taught myself.

Contrary to my mother's baking, my baked goods are vegetarian and all natural and usually 100% whole grain. I do not use any artificial ingredients and I even grind my own flour. I like to use organic ingredients, but due to the high price of organic food I mostly use organic flour, sugar, agave nectar, some spices, and milk in my baking.

I bake all kinds of things: Cakes, Tortes, Cookies, Strudel, Bread, Danish, all kinds of pastries....

I am about to start my Christmas baking, though I do not really celebrate Christmas. I just call it Christmas baking because these are the kind of cookies I used to bake with my mom at Christmas time. I usually bake a lot of cookies this time of the year, mostly to give away to friends and family, my kids teachers, my husband's co-workers, and more.

So stay tuned for some pictures of my baked goods. Coming soon.....

No comments: