Monday, October 27, 2008

Birthday Cakes

Here are some birthday cakes I made for my family.

The pictures were taken with an old style camera
(not digital) and I scanned them in. Looks like
the quality has suffered quite a bit.



Janardan's second birthday. Gosh, time flies. This photo was taken 5 years ago!

This cake is called Mille Sfoglie and the layers are made with puff pastry, which I made from scratch. The fillings were Chantilly Cream, which basically is whipping cream with sugar in it and Creme Patisserie, which was in this case Vanilla Pudding with butter in it. The cake is decorated with pistachio nuts. It was a very rich cake, actually too rich for my taste.

Here is a close-up of the cake.



^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Next is a cake I made for my birthday almost 5 years ago.



I do not remember exactly what the cake was made off. Looks like a two layer
cake with Chantilly Cream and toasted sliced almonds as a decoration.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Marisha loves strawberry cake. In fact, every one of her birthday cakes had to be a strawberry cake so far. Here is one I made when she turned 5, that would be 4 1/2 years ago.



And here is a closeup of that very same cake.



I got the recipe for this cake from a professional baking book. It was complicated to make. The bottom is a cake layer and the top half is Strawberry Bavarian Cream. I used agar agar instead of gelatin. It tasted very good.

More birthday cake pictures to come....

No comments: